Routine Dental Procedures Sherman Oaks, CA
At Guy Mangia, DDS, we perform a variety of routine dental procedures that can help your teeth and gums to remain healthy for a lifetime. We prefer to see patients twice a year for a routine teeth cleaning and dental exam because this is the best way to prevent cavities and gum disease. If you have not been to the dentist in a while and are concerned that going may be uncomfortable, do not be. We are a Sherman Oaks, CA gentle dentistry office and can help to keep you comfortable during your appointment.
Here are some of the routine dental procedures that we perform on a regular basis:
- Teeth Cleanings. If you want to prevent cavities, you need to keep your teeth clean. Daily brushing and flossing are an important part of keeping your teeth and gums healthy. Unfortunately, it can be difficult to reach all of the areas in your mouth by yourself. This is why you need to visit the dentist for a professional teeth cleaning twice a year. We can remove the plaque that has formed on and in between your teeth along with at your gum line. This is not just important for preventing cavities, it also prevents gum disease. Gum disease is typically a result of plaque becoming trapped under your gums. To schedule your appointment call (818) 940-0862. Our team is gentle and we are confident that you will have a pleasant experience.
- Deep Cleanings. Gum disease creates the need for a deep cleaning. During this procedure we will remove the plaque and tartar that has built up underneath the gums. Once done, your gums will begin to feel better.
- Fluoride Treatments. In addition to keeping your teeth clean, we can also strengthen them. When you eat and brush your teeth, you could be gently stripping away your enamel. Foods that are acidic and drinks like soda have a low pH level and can actually dissolve your dentin. Cola products, for example, have a pH level closer to battery acid than they do to water. This means that your teeth can gradually become weaker and more susceptible to decay and even damage. To combat this, you need to strengthen them. A fluoride treatment is one way to do so. We can apply fluoride to teeth in a matter of minutes. There is no irritation and this mineral will strengthen teeth enough to reduce the risk of cavities by 30 percent. If you live in Sherman Oaks, CA we encourage you to schedule an appointment for a fluoride treatment today.
- Dental Sealant. One of our routine dental procedures is applying dental sealant. This is a clear, plastic-like material that is gently brushed onto the teeth. At Guy Mangia, DDS, we recommend sealant for people that have deep ridges on the chewing surfaces of their teeth. Some people are born with teeth like this while others develop deeper ridges over time. The challenge is that deep ridges are prone to having food become trapped in them and they are difficult to clean. As a result, plaque can form and the acid it secretes can cause decay. The best way to combat this is to seal the ridges so that nothing can become trapped there. We can do so in only a couple of minutes per tooth. This makes the procedure quick, easy, affordable, and an excellent way to reduce the risk of developing cavities.
- Teeth Whitening. This is an incredibly popular dental procedure for our patients because it provides a fast and affordable way to improve the appearance of teeth. It is perfectly natural for teeth to become dull, yellow or stained with age. If you smoke, drink a lot of red wine, coffee or tea, your teeth can become yellow much faster. As a result, we regularly whiten teeth for people in their early twenties on up. The procedure works because the whitening solution is placed on the teeth and when it is, it penetrates the enamel and starts the process of oxidization. This is where the molecules inside of the teeth change to reflect less light, appear colorless and give your teeth a bright white appearance. If you have an important event coming up, call 818-940-0862 to schedule an appointment with us and discuss this procedure in further detail.
- Dental Bonding. When it comes to routine dental procedures, dental bonding is one of the most widely used solutions for improving the appearance of teeth and restoring damaged ones. At Guy Mangia, DDS, we can use bonding material to restore a tooth that has been cracked or chipped in an accident. We can also use it to close gaps in between teeth, change the shape of teeth, cover dark stains, and make them appear better in general. As an added benefit, we can complete the bonding procedure in one visit to our dental office. After selecting the right shade, we prepare the tooth by roughening it up slightly and then place the bonding material on top of it. We then shape it into place and harden it. By the time you are ready to leave, you will have a fully restored and naturally beautiful tooth.
- Dental Crowns. If you have suffered extensive damage to one of your teeth or are missing a large amount of enamel due to decay or an infection, you may need dental crowns. This is a more extensive dental restoration because a crown is a cap that surrounds your tooth entirely. It can be made of a tooth-colored resin or porcelain so that it appears perfectly natural. This makes it possible to use crowns on either a front tooth or a back molar. Out of all of our routine dental procedures, this one is typically used to restore a tooth that has been cracked or chipped and cannot be restored with a veneer or bonding due to the location of the tooth or severity of the damage.
Check out what others are saying about our dental services on Yelp: Routine Dental Procedures Sherman Oaks
Questions Answered on This Page
People Also Ask
Definition of Dental Terminology
- Cosmetic Dentistry
- Cosmetic dentistry is generally used to refer to any dental work that improves the appearance (though not necessarily the function) of a person’s teeth, gums and/or bite.
- Tooth decay is when the enamel of the tooth begins to decay and cause erosion from plaque and tartar on the teeth.
- Dental Caries
- Dental caries are also known as cavities and result from a lack of proper oral hygiene leaving plaque that forms tiny holes in the teeth.
- Dental Checkup
- A dental checkup is an appointment that involves cleaning the teeth, identifying any signs of infection and removing said signs of infection at least once every six months in the office.
- Dental Filling
- A dental filling involves restoring the structure of the tooth by using metal, alloy, porcelain or plastic to fill the tooth.
- Dental Prophylaxis
- A dental prophylaxis is a professional and detailed cleaning that involves the removal of plaque, calculus and stains from the teeth.
- Dental Sealants
- Dental sealants contain a resinous material that we apply to the chewing surfaces of the posterior teeth to prevent dental caries.
- A dentist, also known as a dental surgeon, is a doctor who specializes in the diagnosis, prevention, and treatment of diseases and conditions of the oral cavity.
- Gingivitis is the inflammation of gum tissue that results from plaque, other infections in the mouth and poor oral hygiene.
- Preventive Dentistry
- Preventive dentistry is the dentistry that focuses on maintaining oral health in order to prevent the spread of plaque, the formation of tartar and infections in the mouth.
- Tartar forms when plaque builds up on the surface of the teeth and calcifies into a hard surface that is much more difficult to remove and will require professional treatment.
- Tooth Enamel
- Tooth enamel is the protective visible outer surface of a tooth that contains the dentin and dental pulp.
Back to top of Routine Dental Procedures
Curious about how to prevent cavities? Continue reading to learn some tips on how to prevent tooth decay. According to the Centers for Disease Control, dental cavities affect one out of every four adults, and more than half of all teens in the United States have had a tooth filled. Oral health is often overlooked,…
Preventative dentistry involves you keeping your teeth and gums healthy by taking actions that will protect against dental problems like tooth decay, gum disease, and enamel loss. Tooth decay and gum disease are two of the most common dental issues that people seek care for, yet both are preventable.Things like daily oral hygiene and teeth…
Silver amalgam is a kind of dental fillings used to fill tooth cavities resulting from tooth decay. The amalgam comprises metals, mercury, and powdered silver, tin, and copper alloy. By weight, elemental mercury makes up almost half of the dental amalgam. The elemental mercury's chemical characteristics cause it to react and bond with the copper,…
Cosmetic dentistry focuses on enhancing smiles while securing dental health. Each treatment in cosmetic dentistry aims to change your look and your outlook. With the help of your dentist, you can gain the benefits of cosmetic dentistry procedures. Here are your cosmetic dentistry options if you want a brighter smile.Dental imperfections often darken and even…